West Chester Borough Archives Collection

seperator image

Collection Title: West Chester Borough Archives Collection

Collection Number: 230

Dates of Collection: 1890-1920

Repositiory: Chester County Historical Society

Project Archivist: Jane E. Dorcester

Abstract:

seperator image

Abstract: 

The records processed in this project were found in a 6 foot by 6 foot wooden filing cabinet labelled 11 the Tucker file 11 ;a 16 inch by 6 inch wooden double drawer index card box, and a 12 inch by 4 inch metal document drawer. A few loose papers were found in some of the Borough Record Books which were also processed. The Tucker filing cabinet was originally installed in c. 1913 at the old Borough Hall at 15-17 South High Street in West Chester. In 1977, it was moved to the next Borough Hall at the old Fugett Elementary School when the Borough moved there. While at the old Fugett School, the cabinet sat in a back room of the Tax Office collecting dust. In 1990, when the Borough moved to its present home at 401 East Gay Street, it was moved into the Council Chambers Conference Room. At the time of the move, then Councilman Ray Ott and Borough Manager Ernie McNeely expressed concern about the condition of the old records still stored in the cabinet. Out of their concern grew a two-part cataloguing project (Spring 1994 and Spring 1995).


Collection Contents:

seperator image
Collection Contents: